Sunday, March 28, 2010

Operation Smile 5K

I needed to do a hard workout today so decided to run a 5K instead. It was a fairly difficult course. The first 1.5 miles were on the pipeline trail, then you come down a steep switchback and finish down on the Provo River Trail.
I felt pretty good. I was still a little tired/sore from my 20 miler on Thursday, but this was a great confidence builder. I do still have some speed left in my legs.
I wore trail shoes and was glad I did because the footing was a little tricky, but my legs felt super heavy that last mile on the pavement.
Mile 1: 6:14 (on the trail with rolling hills)
Mile 2: 6:01
Mile 3: 5:55
last .13 (according to Garmin)
Final time: 18:55 a Personal Best (since running in college)
I was kind of disappointed with the race director's decision to give the Overall Men's winner a bigger prize than the 1st place woman simply because he was the "Grand Prize" winner. Can we say sexist? I'm no feminist, but I really thought that was in poor taste.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree on the awards! Shall we give him the benefit of the doubt and call him a first time race director - nah! btw - LOVE the sidebar on your other blog were monkey tells you his sister is coming when he is 4!! Beware, my little niece (now 4) announced to her parents that she was going to have a brother & sister and that their names were Casen and Olivia ... they had just found out the day before that they were expecting! And guess what - Casen & Olivia were born 5 weeks ago!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there - you probably don't remember me, but we've met once or twice, a year or two (or three?) ago. I just found your blog, and thought I'd tell you I really enjoyed reading the last few posts! It's nice to hear about a MOM who still manages to be a competitive runner. You're totally an inspiration - I want to be doing what you're doing in a few years. Yet it seems so impossible as I'm sitting here, 8 months pregnant with twins, with a toddler running around me. It was fun seeing pictures with familiar faces - Kristen O, Amber, Julie... I miss those girls! I wish I lived in Utah County so I'd have some running partners. Anyways.... just thought I'd say hi. And good luck with your running! You should update this blog - it's obviously been quite awhile since you did, and I'm sure you've done many blog-worthy runs and races since :)

    -Chelsea McKell

    ReplyDelete