Wednesday, July 2, 2014

First post partum race


Nicholas was 5 weeks old when I did this local 5k.  It was just a year ago that I ran the Utah Valley 10k in 35:24.  It was not a certified course and I was suspicious the course was about .15 short per my Garmin - but it was a fast time for me and I was feeling pretty fit.  Fast forward 12 months later and I am feeling pretty slow and out of shape.  Races are always pretty motivating to me.  I can push myself and also see where I am at fitness wise.  

This was just a low key small race and even though I hadn't put in very much work besides pushing out a baby, I was excited to see how things would go.  I had 2 goals:  hit sub 7 minute miles and not die!  I actually paced it pretty decently and only slowed 10 seconds between my first and second miles.  My third mile was a few seconds faster than the middle mile and I was happy I was able to push through the pain and finish strong.  I came through at 19:49 - well under my goal of 21:xx. I wanted to quit after the first mile, but I stuck it out and finished somewhat strong.  I've got a lot of work to do.  It was 2:30 off my PR but I'm determined to come back as fit and strong as ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment