My second Turkey Trot took place on Thanksgiving Morning at the Orem Rec Center. It was a beautiful, crisp morning. I picked up my neighbor Sara and we arrived at the Rec Center about 45 min before the start of the race. I warmed up with Julie E. and made my race plan. I really wanted to hit a 6min mile pace and go under 24 minutes.
The start of this race is a little different than most road races. Because the road narrows so quickly and the amount of runners in the race is quite large, they start the men and women at opposite sides of a road and have them merge after 200 meters or so.
The start was pretty rough. I got cut off right at the beginning and then some guy clipped my heel and my shoe went flying. Imagine trying to go against hundreds of aggressive runners to try and rescue your shoe. It wasn't pretty. I finally located my shoe about 25 meters behind me, sat down and put it back on. My adrenaline was surging. I raced to catch up with my friend Julie E. and kept going. My first mile was not as slow as you might imagine: a 6:06. I sped up my second mile and got a 6:03, slowed down to a 6:13 my third mile, and finished strong with a 6:02 my last mile.
My overall time was 24:25 and I took 5th place. A little disappointing, but not a complete disaster. Plus I got to go home with another turkey!
No comments:
Post a Comment