Tuesday, November 24, 2009

One down, one to go

The turkey trot in Brigham City went well. I finished first overall with a time of 24:51. My main competition was a 15 year old girl I will call the Brigham City Prodigy. The course was very hilly, and consisted of two, two mile loops. The first loop I tried to be conservative and just focused on keeping the BCP in sight. She easily had a 50M lead on me after the first mile and a half. The really annoying thing about the BCP was that every 400M or so she would glance back to see where I was. It was really grating on my nerves. I started gaining on her right after we hit the 2 mile mark. At the 2.5 mile marker I was almost side by side with her. She was breathing really hard and whimpering. The mother in me threw aside the competitive part and I tried to get her to come along with me. She was cramping and mentally hurting to see me make up that much ground on her and continued to fall behind. I felt bad for her, but I know that race will be another one to add to her experience. I had a chance to talk to her at the end of the race and encouraged her to keep up the good work and to run for BYU when the time came to sign with a team. She was a really sweet girl and I hope she continues to do well.

My splits:
Mile 1 5:50
Mile 2 6:31 UPhill
Mile 3 5:58
Mile 4 6:42 UPhill - for some reason the hill seemed bigger the second time around!
I ended up winning a 20lb TOM TURKEY for my MIL to cook on Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment